WHAT IS DEPRESSION?
Depression is more than just feeling sad or down. It is a common – but serious – medical condition characterized by negative feelings that interfere with everyday living. These feelings impact the ability to function in a normal environment. Specific forms of depression occur under specific circumstances, such as postpartum depression or seasonal affective disorder, but many people experience depression that isn’t connected to particular events or surroundings.
The good news is that depression treatment is extremely effective at helping people reclaim their life and happiness.
Signs and symptoms of depression
Each person experiences depression in a slightly different way. Like any other mental health disorder, the severity, frequency and duration of symptoms will change from person to person depending on the circumstances and underlying situation. Common symptoms of depression include:
- Feeling sad, anxious, or hopeless
- Feeling guilty, empty, or worthless
- Persistent irritability
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities
- Difficulty making decisions
- Difficulty remembering details
- Unexplained digestive problems
- Pains or aches in the body